Monday 5 November 2012

Reading Reflection #8

Reading Reflection #8

book: Dragon Rider

author: Cornella Funke

pages: 1-53

Although I am a big fan of fantasy novels, I must say that this book just did not cut it for me. From the moment I started reading I could tell that the reading level was for a far younger audience.
I found it odd how the language was being used to describe such simple thing as a very flustered rat, who told the dragons that humans would come. The way she was being described was something that I found really obnoxious, and it was that that made me realize the book was not focusing on my age group. After the realization that the book was for a younger audience I was no longer annoyed with the story but rather bored. Even though I am a fan of this type of story, it could not keep my attention.
I did find it interesting to read something for younger people, it showed me just how much my taste has changed, and how something that might have interested me while I was younger will now bother and bore me.
The reason for the story being so boring was a mix of things. One of the big ones was that it was extremely predictable. I knew everything that was going to happen long before it came to it, this is also the main reason that I will not be continuing this book, but the use of language in describing things just really did not give the urge to read on. A line that bothered me in this story was that "humans have ice that never melts" this would not be so bad if the author was trying to show the magical creatures negligence for the man kind, but it is then followed up by how they know what a machine is. It was things like this that also showed me that a group of kids could better understand the story by referring it to things that they know, but I was thoroughly put off the rest of the story, and i could make a full judgement right then and there that I could not read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment